Monday 20 December 2010

Am I looking for god?

My dad has told me repeatedly recently that it's obvious to him (a Christian) that I'm "looking for god" and that he's confident i shall find him.

His idea that my active atheism is simply an expression of my search for god is quite an interesting one, i agree, but we all know just how closed minded religious folk are sometimes and surely it must ease his conscience for him to feel that his interpretation, once again, is righteous, as his ignorant interpretation of scripture always has done.

Now, about this god, previously, i have put it to my dad, in response, that he can guarantee with certainty that, should i ever find a god, he can be "quite sure that it will not be the Christian god of misery and submission, pain and torture, ignorance and bigotry, slavery, rape and famine; Jesus, who would rather shame gays than give an orphan a family, can literally go to hell"... But, i admit, upon reviewing the following evidence, it has come to my attention that perhaps i am looking for this god after all:

Christianity has been the backbone of ignorance for 2000 years, it serves only to control the lives of it's following by showering them with bigoted dogma, ignorance and petty cowardliness, and that's before we mention it's views on women, blacks, homosexuals and children. Further to this its' very basic claims, such as Adam and Eve being the first man, the great flood, Jesus Christ's miracles and others are simply not possible to be true given current scientific resources, fossils, transitional forms, logic, evidence and reason. Besides this, it has caused sadness upon pain upon famine upon war after one another and still today contributes to intolerance, racism, bigotry and homophobia across the world so that the very free will it claims to give it's followers is taken right from under their noses. You know, i could go on, but I'm convinced already.

My dad is right, it is the Christian god that i want to find after all.... To give him a well deserved smack in the face!

That's all for now x

1 comment:

  1. When something like this was presented to me, it occurred to me that they were right, but not in the way they thought.
    I arrived at my atheism late in life. Before I was a milquetoast believer, a cultural christian, not really invested in the faith but with a vague feeling that 'many paths, one god' was a reflection of the religious landscape.
    It took a hard skeptical look at religion for me to abandon my lukewarm beliefs, but at the same time I realized that gods, if untrue, were a fascinating subject of study. I've been looking for gods for over four years now, and they seem more fictitious by the day.

    ReplyDelete